What is Web Application Security Testing?
Web application security testing is the process of finding security vulnerabilities in source codes of web apps, using manual and automated application security testing methods and multiple tests.
In other words, security of a web application is all about securing a web application code from cyber attacks that leave no stone unturned to exploit application code vulnerabilities.
13 Application Vulnerability Scanners
1. Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP)
The Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP) is an open source web application security tool. It has been created by the organization OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project)and helps find application vulnerabilities or flaws.
OWASP ZAP Zed Attack Proxy is both automated and manual web application security testing tool and is available for Windows, Unix/Linux and Macintosh platforms environment.
A beloved tool for both penetration testers and security researchers, OWASP ZAP Zed Attack Proxy is easy to use, affordable and has tester-built community support. As part of aggressive innovation roadmap, it’s frequently updated with new features, bug fix releases when needed, through community contributions.
Wfuzz is a command line tool written in Python for Linux to assist security researchers in finding and uncover potential vulnerabilities within a target application.
Fuzzing is an activity performed by software testers and security professionals who wish to determine vulnerabilities within a particular application.
Get Wfuzz source code.
Get Wapiti source code.
sqlmap is an open-source security tool designed to audit web applications and detect potential SQL injection flaws. It’s mainly used by developers in efforts to secure their applications against a rather common type of hacking attacks.
Get SQLMap here
Arachni is an open-source Ruby framework designed to identify any issues with a web application and as such is a penetration testing platform as well as an administrative tool for site owners to check for any loophole(s) in the site’s programming.
Get Arachni source code.
Grabber is an easy to use web application vulnerability scanner that not only looks for SQL Injection vulnerabilities, but also Blind SQL injection, XSS Vulnerabilities and file include vulnerabilities.
Whether you’re an ASP.NET developer, a Java J2EE programmer or a PHP programmer, you can use the Grabber web application vulnerability scanner thanks to its ability to work with many different server side programming languages.
Get Grabber source code.
6. Iron Wasp
Get Vega here.
Get W3af here.
GitHub source code is here
Get WebScarab here.
Why is Web Application Security Testing Important?
The importance of a secure web application architecture becomes more evident with reports like 2018 Verizon Data Breach Report .
Even in 2021, the Verizon Breach Investigations Report 2021
- With more than 90%, web applications, as attack vectors, are still the favourite target of cyber attackers.
- Involvement of web applications in more than half of cyber incidents has been observed. This includes servers in the form of web apps. Email and Databases etc.)
- Pattern of cyber attacks on web applications has touched a new realm of heights and is on its highest level since 2016.
- Patching application vulnerabilities is still a ‘task’ for many. Surprisingly, once found, it takes more than 70 days to patch a vulnerability and approximately 40% of cases are like this.
- Hacking was the prime reason for attacks in the form of system intrusion.
- Cent per cent web application security cyber attacks happen from the outside and more than 85% of such attacks revolve around money as motivation.
From SaaS application security to content management systems like WordPress, application security threat of OWASP Top 10 Web Application security risks of malicious code manipulation keep software developers awake.